The Herzog Foundation’s digital news publication, The Lion, took home six awards from the Evangelical Press Association’s 2023 Annual Convention in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Those six awards include:
2023 Award of Excellence:
- Newspaper-Online News (Digital), Award of Excellence: The Lion – Josh Mann, Michael Ryan, Jillian Schneider
2023 Higher Goals Awards:
- Interview Article, Fifth Place, The Lion, University of Kentucky swimmer Riley Gaines was tossed into the transgender athlete debate – Michael Ryan
- Photography Use – Digital, Fifth Place, The Lion – Josh Mann, Michael Ryan
- Student Writer of the Year, Fourth Place, The Lion, Opponents fall short in effort to block landmark Arizona school choice law – Karsten Harrison
- Video Social Media Short, First Place, The Lion, Sunrise on a Mission – Josh Mann, Chris Sheridan.
- Website Design, Third Place, The Lion – Josh Mann, Chris Vas, Michael Ryan
“These awards are a testament to our staff’s incredible effort and dedication to accurate, timely and captivating coverage of education issues,” said The Lion’s Executive Editor Michael Ryan. “We are proud to be recognized by such a prestigious organization that’s laser-focused on professionalism, respect and commitment to God.”
The Evangelical Press Association (EPA) is a professional organization of Christian print and digital publications: magazines, newspapers, newsletters, and content-driven websites. EPA members compete against all other publications for the annual Awards of Excellence and Higher Goals.
EPA’s Awards of Excellence competition honors overall excellence. Judges in this category review the entire publication to evaluate several criteria, including writing quality, content choices, imagery, and overall design. The Higher Goals competition honors individual original aspects of a publication, such as writing, photography, design, and special features.
“We’re grateful to be recognized by the EPA this year as The Lion continues to grow and become a ‘must read’ for every Christian parent,” said The Lion’s Managing Editor Josh Mann. “Along with other members of the EPA, The Lion is telling vital stories from a Christian perspective that’s too often underrepresented.”
The Lion is a digital news publication dedicated to informing parents and educational decision-makers about the many options they have for their children. It sheds light on issues with the status quo in public schools, covers success stories and expansion in Christian schools and covers issues related to religious liberty, free speech, parenting and civics.
Learn more about The Lion’s mission here.
About the Stanley M. Herzog Charitable Foundation
The Stanley M. Herzog Charitable Foundation is a charitable foundation dedicated to catalyzing and accelerating the development of quality Christ-centered K-12 education so that families and culture flourish.
Learn more at HerzogFoundation.com